Monday, March 31, 2008

Easter!!





















Well, it’s a Wednesday evening here in London and I thought it was time to write in my blog. I have nearly been back in London for 2 months and it would have to go down as the hardest two months of my life as I attempt to re-build my life after my whirlwind time in Rwanda.

As most of you are probably aware, I still haven’t found employment as I find each day begins in a sea of optimism and ends in disappointment. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy as the economy here in the UK is struggling on the back of the troubles in the States. Saying this, I never in a million years thought it would have been this difficult and I do have new found understanding for people that struggle to find employment.

Dealing with this disappointment has been harder to take as I had the most amazing ride of my life in Rwanda, where I had responsibility and respect in the community. I was also working on a project that I was passionate about in every sense of the word. It was a challenge that I’ve been craving for all my life and for once it lived up to every expectation and more.
Many people say, why don’t you just pack up and go home but if there is one thing that I am and that is stubborn. I am determined to not let it beat me and I’m sure the next chapter of my life is just around the corner. (I just wish it would come here a little quicker) Although, there were moments like today that I realised that things could be worse. I was in a recruiter’s office and this young man had been kicked out of home (by his girlfriend) because he lost his job. He was coming to see if there was anything available as he had spent the last couple of days on the street.

Away from the depressing news of me and my failed attempts of cracking the employment market, I have started ABANA UK.
When I was given the opportunity to work in Rwanda, I went there with the mentality that I will go in and finish this project within the set timeframe and continue on with my life. But as you are probably aware, I absolutely fell in love with the country and made a promise to the community and to myself that I would continue the good work of ABANA here in London.

In the space of one month, with the help of my networks I assembled a group of 10 like-minded young professionals that share a passion for Rwanda and Africa. The group like London itself come from all around the world from Zimbabwe, Ireland, France, England and Rwanda of course. We all come from different backgrounds but we have one thing in common – we all have a passion to make a difference in Africa. With my new ‘found’ spare time, I drafted a strategic document for the group and as of 2 weeks ago we had our first meeting. In a church room in Central London all of us gathered as I went through what I hope to achieve from this group. (We were lucky to have Kim Winter from Oasis Africa who was able to inspire us with his work in Kenya)

The meeting was a complete success and I can confidently speak on behalf of the group that everyone was inspired and excited at the future of ABANA UK.
I have since then drafted a ‘Future Steps’ proposal that we will be discussing in future meetings. I remember looking around this little room in this church and thinking the sky is the limit for us here and I will do everything in my power to ensure ABANA UK is a success. The spirit that is Rwanda continues to burn inside of me and I look forward to working with the fellow committee members to be part of something very special.

I read recently that ‘the tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach’

Away from ABANA UK, I managed to get out of London on the weekend as I visited Cambridge on a day trip with a friend of mine. It also happened to be on Easter but the weather seemed more alike to Christmas as we had 3 days of snow. I am the first to admit that I enjoy the snow and to me the ‘novelty factor’ is still quite high but what I don’t like is the cold weather.

Away from the bitterly cold weather, Easter was relaxing and an opportunity to catch up with friends who I haven’t managed to see since being back.

Anyway, I better get back to job hunting and have your fingers crossed for me that ‘the next chapter’ is just a click away.

Troy




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always love reading your blogs

Clare

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Troy, I am always jealous to see you go to these delicious places!!I hope the jobhunting ends very soon... Christine

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home