Monday, July 14, 2008

ABANA UK Launch and Fundraiser - Saturday July 12th 2008

On Saturday July 12th we had our ABANA UK launch and fundraising event The wonderful committee of ABANA UK put on a variety night of entertainment ranging from traditional Rwandan dancers, choir (made up of teenagers who have come from disadvantaged backgrounds), solo singers, drummers, and singing from a woman that volunteered in Rwanda. (She sang in the local language and just brought the house down!) We also had raffles, quiz, traditional Rwandan food and speeches from the Rwandan Community Association of the UK and the 1st Consular of Rwandan Embassy.
We also had craft stalls selling traditional African crafts and clothes. So, as you can tell there was a hell of a lot of work involved in putting this project together. This was a project that took months of work in planning.

We staged it at Bush Hall in Shepherds Bush, in a venue that I just fell in love with when I walked through the door. (If I get married in London then I will get married there!)

I took a slight risk as everyone said I should have something low key as a launch but as my friends would say I wanted something huge that will ensure people will never forget about ABANA UK. (I had to folk out a little bit of money up front) One of the girls afterwards said I was fearless, I said Im just stupid!
It was also the first night that I've ever compared an event, which at the start was a little daunting but by the end I think I was on stage more than the performers.

Anyway, the night couldnt have gone any better. It was such a spectacle that totally captured the imagination of the audience. The entertainment was first-class and thankfully someone has video-taped most of it (Ive missed the last hour cause the battery died- mental note bring two batteries)
It was one of the best nights of my life, hands down.. The 1st Consular made a beautiful speech thanking the committee for their wonderful work with tonight and wishing us all the best of luck in the future. Everyone in the room who I spoke to was totally blown away by the night and Ive received countless msgs since then and so have the rest of the committee. The dream/vision that I had for this group when I was working in Rwanda had became reality.. but not without countless hours of work!! This I should add is only part of the dream, so the future is very exciting for everyone concerned.

In terms of numbers we had 172 paying people through the door plus the entertainment/media and special guests so we had 200+ people in attendance which is a great achievement on a Saturday night. We raised after all our costs approx. £1300-1400 towards our project, which is a great start and will pay for the tools and sewing machines. We also want to get resources for the school as well. (Which I will organise when I go back)
But the night was more than just raising money it was raising awareness of not just ABANA UK but more importantly Rwanda and we definitely achieved that many times over.
The biggest thankyou for the night was reserved the amazing individuals that make up the ABANA UK committee, there work and support over the last few months has been something very special that has touched my heart. It proves that anything in life is possible as long as you have the passion and heart in what you are trying to achieve. This I should add is only just the beginning of what promises to be a new beginning for ABANA UK.
God bless everyone involved and everyone that came along.
'The future starts with the present'
Troy

















































































2 Comments:

Anonymous web lol said...

web lol

2:12 AM  
Anonymous free games to download said...

Relying on your instanct is tough for most of us. Many of us develop this ability over the course of our life. It doesn’t really just happen if you know what I mean.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home